Monday, January 22, 2007

Attraction

Musical reference - Lena Horne's "Honey in the Honeycomb"

Without any sort of qualification, Lynda happens to be a particularily attractive woman. Her good looks in combination with her personality at times make her the recipient of a good deal of unwanted and unsolicited attention; primarily from men but occassionaly from women as well. She's generally very good at rebuffing advances without causing injury to anyones feelings. I'm okay because she's adept at dealing with it on an ongoing basis. My brother has hit on her, my cousin makes pointed remarks, her co-workers ask her out, her sons friends ask about her...most guys have the good sense to walk away. She'll come over to me and ask, 'You caught that exchange didn't you? I didn't do anything, did I? I didn't, I know I didn't!'

Saturday night was different. Our hostess is a woman about our age and her nephew was playing host. He's around 30 and didn't go away. Everytime I walked away from Lynda's side he was there draping himself over her as they danced and giving her a good mauling. She tried telling him to back off and beckoning me with looks that said 'Save me!'. He's lucky she didn't haul off and deck him. I cut in a few times, stared him down a few more times and then gave him a tongue lashing about how he was behaving. This guy was so full of self and testosterone that he just didn't get it. 'She ain't interested in you buddy.' I wound up getting a good rage on and was about ready to hit him when Lynda pulled the plug and said it wasn't worth the aggravation - let's bail.

Otherwise it had been a good party - 25 or 30 people, good music, great food, lots of dancing.....all it takes is one jerk to spoil a good time though. I was glad to leave at the end of it all.

****update****
Yes, I know violence isn't a solution. I tried to operate on spiritual principles for most of the evening but after a very persistent 5 hours of aggravation, I'd pretty much had it. Mea culpa.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home