Thursday, March 08, 2007

Music Fix

In response to a recent review of John Mellencamp's most recent CD by Glen at 'The Worldwide Glen', I'd told him that would be my next purchase. Oooopps! Turns out I lied.

For the last while I've been trying to build a DVD music library of acts I enjoy and I tend to treat myself to something new when I'm down or feel in need of some small reward. I couldn't afford myself when I was drinking and subsequently have saved literally thousands of dollars in sobriety so.....a little music now and then doesn't hurt. (Rationalization? Whatever works.)

Browsing through the store I found a 2000 release by Jeff Beck on CD that I thought I already had; 'You Had it Coming'. It turns out I hadn't. I've heard half the songs in one form or another elsewhere but there are some other gems here, too. Doing a search of his website brought me the news that there's a web only release of another 'official bootleg' from his tour last fall of the western U.S. - I'll be ordering that baby a little later tonight; I can't seem to get enough of his playing. He was also supposed to be recording some new material during that tour but I can't track down any news regarding that.

The DVD I picked up at the same time is Neil Young's 2006 release 'Heart Of Gold'. The first disc is the concert he and the band performed at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville and features all the songs from his 'Prairie Wind' CD followed by a selection of his greatest hits which coincide with the theme. I was enthralled for the full 100 minutes. Besides the core band, he had on different songs, a brass section, strings, a guitar orchestra, choir and a number of back-up singers including his wife Pegi and the breath-taking Emmylou Harris. (I've had a schoolboy crush on her since she came on the scene back around 1970; her heart shaped face makes my heart go pitter-pat) I haven't viewed the second disc as yet but it includes rehearsal footage, interviews and 2 bonus tracks.

He mentions in pre-song intro's that he'd lived in Winnipeg when he was young but he also spent a few years about 15 miles west of here in Pickering and a couple more in the village of Omemee, 60 miles east. His late father, Scott, was a famous newspaper columnist for the Toronto Telegram.

Music is soooo gooood for the soul!!!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

I think that's a great way to spend your sobriety money. I've spent my cigarette money on books. I could've saved it all and bought a car by now, but books are my weakness.

2:07 PM, March 09, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

After I posted this I started to think about just how much that amount might be.....and was staggered. So I don't feel bad about spending $20 or $40 here & there. Beats the heck out of the alternative; plus I wouldn't have lasted physically this long.

3:19 PM, March 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home