Friday, April 06, 2007

Intervention

I'm looking forward to beginning work next week with that teen ward. It's got the noggin in gear again formulating a plan of attack. Assessment and drug history, placement on the continuum of addiction, determining where he is in the 'stages of change', building a personal profile and family history, educational component re drug use and suspension of personality development/maturation, presentation of options, trigger identification, impulse management, recreational alternatives, goal setting, team building...........and on.....and on.

It'll be interesting trying to engage someone that young (14) in the process.

If I had one wish it would be that drugs weren't so readily available.

Prohibition and law enforcement aren't working.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Norm, I just wanted to let you know I've been reading. I don't always know what to say and sometimes my notes sound too trite to push that "publish" button.

A short list of comments on your previous few posts:

John Prine rocks.

Bifocals are da bomb. Seriously. I do a lot of reading and I was thrilled when I got my first pair and could SEE again. They do take some getting used to, though. My husband has trouble with his because he doesn't wear them often enough. That's the main thing: wear them. :)

Your New Directions post was very upbeat and positive.

12:42 PM, April 06, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

Thanks Robin - It's amazing the difference a few days can make. I'm doing much better.

I love John Prine. I also have some vinyl of his late friend and collaborator Steve Goodman. Dig out that turntable and give 'er a spin.

Busted - I've been avoiding the bifocals this week as my eyes are always irritated working nights. Overtired. I'll try to stick with them this coming week and see how I make out.

4:26 AM, April 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home