Monday, May 14, 2007

'Things' We Value

This is something that I'll likely revisit in days to come as there are many aspects to it but I suppose what brought it to mind is going through the house, divvying up possessions and packing.

The very first thing I packed was my music collection. Hmmm .... in terms of material possessions what do you suppose I value most?? Guess what it is that I'm missing a ton with all the time that has passed since then?? There are particular CD's I want to dig out as I've been wanting to re-listen to them and then write about them. There certainly are a lot of associations and memories tied into our musical memories. (I found out recently that they don't allow music in detox's because it stirs the emotions so much.) Is it worth the bother of tracking them down now or should I just wait until I get moved and unpacked?? Dunno; we shall see. The new place is going to be one of near non-stop music of all kinds.

About the only things I own that have any great monetary value are electronics - computer, sound systems, cameras - and they quickly de-value as the nature of them changes so rapidly. I'm not particularly acquisitive but those are also the things I'd like to update. A wireless notebook computer, wireless surround sound system, a better digital camera that I can do more with; perhaps an SLR.

'Things' I value most are those with sentiment attached; my father's tools; stained glass shades he crafted; hand-stitched pictures Mom made; sweaters she knitted for me; a couple of handsome bookcases my paternal grandfather owned; coins and notes that family handed down to me when I was a boy collector of such things. Even the things I worked, earned and saved for; things I wanted deeply at the time don't count for much. Seems I'm a packrat trying to get loose of the baggage these days and I'm having a difficult time deciding what has to go and what is key to hang onto.

I've been poor, then paycheque to paycheque, and fairly well off and poor again. What I've found is that so long as the necessities are met - roof, clothes, food, mobility - the rest is just gravy and vastly over-rated. The next thing I'll value is a home of my own and independence; somewhere I can settle in and arrange my stuff; a place to cook and entertain; read, relax and listen to music; plant a garden and eat the produce.

Change can be a very welcome thing.

What do you value??

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a tough one. Having to simplify our lives for this sabbatical, I've found I can live without a lot of my stuff.

As you said, once the basic necessities are met, everything else is just gravy. :)

8:28 AM, May 14, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

It all depnds on the amount of 'space' I wind up with. If it's large enough all of it goes with me and I'll have the luxury of sorting later. If things don't work out and I wind up in a room; it'll be downright monastic - a bed, a book, a cup.....

I'm optomistic.

2:42 PM, May 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home