Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The Joy Of Cooking

It's three months already since I moved and during all that hot weather I've cooked very few meals. (No A/C) Mostly I've eaten with Lynda at the house and what I have cooked has been really simple fare. Today I slept poorly, was up early and the temperature was down so I pulled some meat from the freezer and got busy.

It had been long enough that I'd almost forgotten how much I enjoy the whole process of cooking. Getting all the ingredients, utensils and pans out. Peeling and cutting garlic and onion, searing the meat and browning the onions, cooling the pan with a splash of sherry and a healthy dollop of red wine (evaporating the alcohol off and getting a head full of vapours), whisking the sauce together, adding the seasonings and throwing it all together to simmer. As it cooked I was moving around the house, in and out of doors, and noticing the aromas wafting about and filling the place. By the time it was done I was starving and it was nice to sit down to something that had taken some time and effort. The best part is there are leftovers for tomorrow and they are usually even better. Oh, and I dropped off a plate for Lynda's dinner tomorrow. Fair is fair and all that stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home