Monday, October 01, 2007

Little Joy in Mudville...

....where the heck did that come from? 'Casey at Bat'??....

Anyway, I wasn't going to post tonight for a few reasons but as the hours pass I'm getting some perspective on things. The world isn't going to come crashing down anytime tonight afterall.

My friend arrived to work on the computer and after a couple of hours made his diagnosis; toasted. I was devastated. Although it has a back up hard drive I've made infrequent use of it and will likely suffer the consequences. My friend says he can build a new one for a fraction of the cost I paid for the present one so I'm going to juggle some finances to try and make that happen. As a stopgap measure I picked up a tower from my sister and hope to get it up and running before I come to work later on tonight.

As this friend was coming over in the early afternoon I wasn't able to help Lynda with the job we do each weekend. Turned out to be a bad day not to be there; we can usually get through it together in about 2 hours. Today she spent almost 5 hours doing it herself. Not good. She did however enjoy a nice dinner with #2 son on his birthday.

Another friend, a 'program' one, had pulled a disappearing act lately and emailed tonight to say he'd been relapsing off-and-on over the last couple of weeks but is getting back on track. I hope he shows up tonight. Upsetting for me; downright scary for him. It's an insidious, patient disease.

I'd disclosed in a post some months ago that I have a seizure disorder and thought 'if you're just tuning in' I'd recover some of that ground. Through the night last night I had a brief one and as soon as I arrived for work tonight I had another. The nature of my type of seizure isn't serious; it's characterized by an 'aura' - a hallucination of sensation - in my case, the odour of a particular spice. That is followed by a 'brainstorm' of rapid, random memory snippets and then works into some physiological after effects which progress downward from my head and through my body. The amount of time in each segment, and overall, varies quite a lot with the overall effects lasting between 1 and 5 minutes. The lasting effect is one of tiredness and a general disinterest in having to do much of anything. These last few months have been good - pretty much 'aura' free. I'm attributing these recent ones to upsetting daily routines - meal times & sleep schedule, lack of sleep and the inherent stress of travelling across time zones as well as shift work. Quite a mix. I'm confident that once life settles again, so will the seizures. Not to worry. (Thanks K)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home