Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Tah-dah!!

Lynda's wedding ring re-appeared miracurously on her ring finger back on Friday. We were in the kitchen clearing the counters after dinner when she pointed it out. 'Looks better as a whole set, doesn't it?' Yes hon, glad you're back.

The weekend was a mish-mash of clearing snow after the storm was finally done storming; I think it snowed for 24 hours straight. Thankfully stepson #3 and his friend the boarder did most of the shovelling at the house. I did a quicky job at my place and then headed to Mom's to get her driveway and walks cleared before Linda arrived home from the hospital with Lynda. Mom had already started working away on her's but I gave her proper hell and told her to get into the house and stay there. Lord, 83 and shovelling 8 inches of wet snow! Linda is moving gingerly and improving a little each day.

Lynda and I made a quick pit-stop at a flea market near home to see a fellow who is closing his booth down. He has become a friend over the last few years and gives us deals regularly but is now practically giving us what we want of his stock. He carries a variety of mineral and stone samples and related products. This time I chose a piece of quartz that is opaque all round except one face that had been cut and polished allowing you to see the interior of the stone. As I was paying for it I felt a hand clap me on the shoulder - it belonged to a gal I know from one of the local NA meetings. She's a very loud, talkative exuberant sort and we talked for a few minutes after introducing our spouses. As we were saying goodbye she grabbed me in a bearhug and announced loudly 'Hugs, not drugs!' (an NA saying). I thought Lynda was going to go through the floor. I just laughed and shook my head. What are you going to do??

My boarder Al had received his welfare cheque early last week and was waiting impatiently for Friday to cash it. I was looking forward to his rent money so I could pay a couple of utility bills and buy some food. It was unusual but he wasn't home when I arrived home Friday morning from my overnight shift; I thought he'd decided to get an early start to the day for a change. He still hadn't appeared when I left for Lynda's late that afternoon; wasn't there again when I landed in Saturday to clear snow. By then I was getting concerned - he doesn't have any disposable income to go anywhere. Sunday afternoon I arrived again, this time for a nap before my night shift, and still no sign. I checked around the house thoroughly to see if any of his or my stuff was missing. Everything seemed okay. My concern?? Al suffers from clinical depression, he is unmedicated and he has had previous episodes of heavy crack cocaine use. The high is a very temporary respite from the depression and the price is high - using causes all sorts of reprecussions. Guilt, remorse, shame, fear, paranoia all feed a more profound depression. I was relieved to see his boots at the front door when I got off work Monday morning. Shortly after I got up in the afternoon he confronted me with the news he had blown all his money on a crack run Friday into Saturday. Then he laid low in hiding not wanting to come home for fear of what I might say. Would I wait until his son got paid Friday for the rent money? He would bail his dad out then.
I haven't been actively trying to counsel him; just encouraging him to plug into local resources for his depression and get some help with his other problems. Now his staying is conditional on getting help; it isn't appropriate for me to do it directly with him one-on-one. We'll see what happens between now and Friday.

Life is never boring, is it?

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

i'm so happy to hear it's come full circle ;)

[get it?]

3:51 AM, February 06, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

Get it? Got it? Good!

[yeah - I gotcha]

I'm happy, too... :-) !!

4:25 AM, February 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home