Thursday, March 27, 2008

High Praise.....

.... and a few rough notes in regard to being on the receiving end of that.

How are you in reacting to compliments?? Handle it well? Find it embarrassing? Swell your head?? Does your reaction depend on the source (person) of the comment? The circumstance under which it was delivered? What does my reaction say about me? my self-esteem? how well grounded and self aware I am??

I had a few heady hours yesterday when someone I hold in very high regard paid me an immense compliment - got all puffed up for awhile there, I did. Then I thought 'you're an ass'; a thousand days can go by without anyone noticing you and all of a sudden you're someone special because someone did?? Get over it and yourself.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an interesting way to look at it. I'm shy of compliments, or at least shy of knowing how to react to them, but I count them internally, a little notch on the post, a personal swagger. Positive feedback does matter to me quite a bit, but sadly, I'm better equipped to know how to react to the negative.

Why is fighting/arguing so much easier than gracious acceptance and sincere reciprocation?

It's a mystery.

5:52 PM, March 28, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

Still a mystery but a little clearer a day later. It has a lot to do with who said it and how it was said. Circumstance. Don't want to toot my own horn but it was large.
In a face to face situation I never know how to react - uh, thanks...you, too.'change the subject'

6:18 PM, March 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home