Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Thwart, Thwarted, Thwarting....

My boss John and I have a running email gag happening about his boss's use of the word 'thwart' in one of his missives to the troops. Let's face it. There are certain words and terms that become archaic and unused for a reason. Thwart is one of them, it qualifies.

The emails are pretty entertaining and I'd share them here if I was able to edit them for confidentiality concerns..... but that's a big 'if'. Between the two of us we manage a good shot of humour and a few 5 dollar words.

The exchange did get me thinking though about what percentage of our overall vocabulary gets regular usage. 25%?? I doubt very much if it were to approach 50. I know plenty of words but rarely use a great many of them.

Get out your thesaurus; dust off that dictionary..... trot out some verbiage that is in need of some airing.

loquaciousness,... gerrymandering,... vexations..... aahhh; much better now. Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home