Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Work Life....

Like most people, I suppose, I go through cycles where I like my work and the people I work with and for. (Then there are times I don't, too.) For me this work has always been about our clients and seeing that their needs are met and exceeded. At the times where I feel burned out and used up I get angry with myself for falling short of my expectations. As a result some days (and weeks) can bear quite a lot of self induced pressure as I work primarily alone. The upside is that the times of gratification are many; times when you know you've managed to help someone through something, or understand, or change an attitude or perspective.

The other night I spent a tense hour on a crisis call with a former client helping to downgrade a period of despair he was working through. Sometimes you get off the line and wonder...... did I say everything he needed to hear? fully cover the issues? are things settled or will something set him off again? Tonight came the payoff when he called back to thank me for being here when he needed to talk to someone. Following our talk he had made some other calls which were positive steps toward resolution - good stuff. It had been a long time since I'd had a guy tell me he loved me. That's alright man - I love you too Jeff. Get on with getting yourself well.

There are times I love my job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home