Monday, July 21, 2008

A.W.O.L.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...... I've been going, going but not totally gone, gone, gonzo.

I'm feeling quite a lot better and have some catching up to do here.

One side effect of back problems is I wind up with no muscle tone to my stomach, .... hence a belly (which I'm unused to)[I struggle to maintain weight nevermind gain any] which makes me look 7 months pregnant. In any case, with this ongoing period of forced inactivity, imagine my surprise when I got on the scale to find I had gained 10 pounds!!! Yes people I have broken the 150 lb barrier for the first time in 5 or 6 years. Yowza! I thought Lynda was going to pee herself laughing when I told her. She might just have to stop calling me a 'bag of bones' now. Oh, and of course, the additional weight couldn't distribute itself evenly over my 6 foot frame, could it? Nah.... concentrated between the diaphragm and butt unfortunately making me resemble the boa constrictor that consumed the piglet. Not attractive.

Speaking of Lynda .... how are things going?? Pretty well, pretty well. Barely a cross word since I moved back to the house. We both have some pressures to deal with but that is what we are attempting to do - deal. Our biggest area of conflict is in regard to television. We have widely varying tastes as to what to watch and 'watching styles'. I would rather turn the set on to watch a particular show and shut it off if there isn't anything else worth watching.... I can live quite nicely without TV. Lynda likes TV marathons and likes to have it on whether she is actually watching a show or not. In order to pre-empt a conflict I hit the library last week and picked up a few books and music Cd's.
Otherwise, she is preparing for a trip next week out of the country which had been planned before we got back together. It is supposed to last 2 weeks but she wants to go for 1 week only. In trying to please her hostess I'm sure she will stay for both weeks.

1,828 days sober - 5 years. I'm reminded of the saying about how it takes a village to raise a child. This could never have happened without an awful lot of help, the fellowship, having a program to guide me and a growing faith that sustained me on my worst days. Ever had the feeling that you've completely worn out a particular prayer? There were days early on that I did. Those times seem to be gone now, T.G. The recitations gave me something to do rather than drink; sobriety by the second, minute and hour, syllable, word, line and verse.
We, the group and I, arranged for the medallion presentation to be next week; a non-work week for me, in case we want to stick around the hall afterward to swap stories, drink too much coffee, eat lots of cake and laugh at ourselves.

Work? Yeah, back at it tonight. The place is much changed in atmosphere - fewer guys, mostly older - and checking me out on my first night back. Who is this guy and what's he about? Suspicious and pushing boundries. Watching as I'm recognized and greeted at the outside meeting earlier in the evening. Hmmmm.... Ohhh, just remembered - Lynda and I were watching the news early last week and the newscaster was detailing a murder in downtown Toronto, then flashed a picture of the victim. It was one of our alumni from about a year ago; a real gentleman actually. A sad legacy for his family and friends though.
Work? Yeah, I really ought to go do some. Later.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home