Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Doh!! Bad Surprise!!

Tonight I thought I'd have some fun but the situation backfired on me. Can you smell cordite?? Here's the skinny.

About a month ago I came across the blog of a guy who writes a music column for the local paper. It's cross-linked with the newspaper's web-site so you have access to all his writing, both columns and blog. On that occasion I gently gave him the gears about the quality of his writing and gave a few suggestions about how he could improve it, thereby attracting more readers through quality reporting and reviewing. (advice which I should also be following, btw - I don't pretend to be good at writing) The comment went to moderation but did appear a day or two later and he took me to task for leaving an anonymous comment but saying he would follow-up and seek to improve.

Earlier tonight I wound up back on the site and decided to wade through his output for the last few weeks. Guess what?? He had one post, just one, that was well written, a few that weren't bad but most were pretty awful. So, off I go and make a few more pointed, blatantly critical comments which may have got a bit personal. (I should have left out that comment about his mother.) There was some constructive, informative stuff in there, too though. All in all it came off sort of snarky. Anyway.... Hit the 'publish' button and **blink**, it went directly to the post!! NO MODERATION!! Shit! Double Shit!! Joke is on me...... groan.

I hastily wrote another comment; a note of apology saying I expected it to be for 'his eyes only' or for it to be moderated and asking that it be deleted.

Bad, BAD man. That'll learn me to keep my big mouth shut. (Not likely.)

You shouldn't put stuff out there for public consumption if it isn't up to snuff.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Norm! I can sympathize. Been there, done that, lesson learned. It's made me very, very careful about comments, emails, etc.

11:05 AM, March 03, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

I know, I know.... never assume anything. I'll take my lumps on this one and keep it in mind for the future.

I'll write a follow up to this later on.... not sure I'm done with him as yet. heh, heh, heh.

1:14 AM, March 04, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

During the political season, I got so mad a few times that I wrote some snarky comments. And then I was so disappointed in myself for jumping into the fray, because you know how hard it is to change another person's outlook or mind?

Sounds like it was a good lesson to learn. Hope it dies down soon (although I saw from your most recent post that it hasn't yet).

12:27 PM, March 05, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

Hey yb - Yeah, I decided to let it lie last night so as not to inflame the situation. He seems to be truly offended but doesn't want at accept my apology or offer of a truce.

Unsolicited advice and criticism is unwelcome by most of us I guess. But I compare his published material to what I see out here for free on the blogs and I can only shake my head and wonder how and why he is being paid for what he does. Incredible.

BTW, in case you didn't know already, I love what you and QM have at rR.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

2:03 PM, March 05, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home