Sunday, March 08, 2009

Long Haul

So, with this work week done within the hour I'm psyching myself up to do the quick turnaround so I can be rested and full functioning for first thing Monday morning. Off home for a short sleep, get up & go to work with Lynda for a few hours, try for 8 to 10 waking hours and then crash so I can come back to work. After work Monday I'll race home for dinner and a change of clothes and head to my A.A. home group meeting. Back home to get my gear packed up for the 26 hour overnight shift Tuesday into Wednesday morning. Another day shift Thursday. A couple of days off and back to my regular series of night shifts come next Sunday night. Whew....

What all that boils down to is that posts may be short and infrequent... but I'll check in on my regular reads as per usual.

This has been a good week despite a completely sleepless day Wednesday. Normally I can separate work and home so that one doesn't affect the other. That didn't happen the other day as I'd fielded calls from a couple of women through the night. Both were long calls and the second one took me right up to quitting time. I guess there wasn't enough time between the end of the call and when I made it home to bed to de-stress and process all I'd heard. The first woman was seeking treatment for alcoholism; the second had 6 months clean of her drug of choice and had relapsed due to a variety of life pressures. Both were survivors of every sort of abuse. The circumstances that some people are able to endure.... amazing.

Lynda had had a rough week so Friday night I took her out for dinner at a good and popular burger joint. We had a good hour and a half over our food and Lynda eased out with a couple of glasses of wine. I had been considering a quick 2 or 3 day trip west to see my son, his lady and my 7 month old grand daughter but I told Lynda I couldn't justify the expense right now. It's on hold for awhile until we see how work and finances go.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home