Friday, December 08, 2006

A Story - Part II

Along about this time when her children were in their early to late teens Marian withdrew, growing quieter and obviously in a state of flux. She would wander the house and go for long walks about the neighbourhood talking animatedly to herself. Ernie bore this for awhile figuring that she had some things to work out but when it was evident that it wasn't a passing thing he called her aside one evening and implored her, beseeched her to share her burden. She stared at him for a time searching his face for answers and then she began to speak.

"Ernie, we've been together quite a time now and we've shared many things. We've worked together to manage a home and raised a fine family. We know each other as well as two people can but I need to tell you something that may bring all of this to an end. You see Ernie, you know all about me except for one thing - one very important thing - and I don't know if you can forgive me my secret"

Now Ernie was a boisterous man given to loud outbursts when excited but for once he was quiet, rapt in his attention. "Go on Marian".

In measured tones Marian began to speak as tears began their silent journey down her cheeks. "I should have told you this when we met but I was as afraid of losing you then as I am now. You see not only was I a widow but I was also the mother of two infant girls born 11 months apart. My two younger 'sisters' are actually my daughters and all these years my mother has raised them. I've tried from time to time to send them small amounts of money that I didn't think you'd miss and that wouldn't take from us in a big way. It's been tormenting me as they've grown to be young women themselves and I've missed them growing up, being a part of their lives. Mother isn't well and can't see to their needs as she used to. What am I to do? Will you forgive me?"

Ernie sat and emotion played over his face. Every few minutes he would begin to say something and then abandon the attempt. Confusion, hurt, betrayal, agitation - they all had their turn with him. Finally he began to speak, "Marian, you're right. We know each other pretty well but I guess the one thing you don't fully understand about me is that I love you. I mean that in the fullest sense of the word - it's without boundary. Yes, I'm hurt that you didn't share this much sooner; that you didn't feel you could. Will I forgive you? Yes, it's done. What are we to do? I have a plan!! In the morning I'll call our lawyer who will contact a lawyer in London. If your girls will have me for a father at this late date I intend to adopt them. Should that be agreeable to all parties, we'll be in London within the month and there will be one hell of a party. You, me and ALL our children are going to get to know one another; we'll be divided no more. Relieve your mind of your worries, all will be well."

The plan worked.

Men. Women. Strange creatures.

The much abridged story of Marian and Ernie.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

thanks for sharing this 'brady bunch' story with a twist

and of course, one has to wonder if this is biographical or fictional :)

5:56 PM, December 09, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

What a beautiful story!
Can't imagine the burden she carried, though. Can't imagine how that must have shadowed her life.

9:27 AM, December 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home