Friday, January 12, 2007

Ramble on

My assignment to cover for a sick collegue is over; I started back on nights Wednesday night. That's fine, too. I knew it was a time limited thing and it was good while it lasted. I enjoyed taking an active part in the guys early recovery. Last night was a busy one getting organized for the balance of the week. It's a short one - just 4 nights instead of 7. Even with being busy I had an opportunity to write here but chose not to as I was in a pretty lousy mood. I put it down to my lingering cold - I can psych myself to put up with one for a week or so but when it drags on into 11 or 12 days well, enough is enough. 'Nothing that a big bottle of rye wouldn't cure.' - stinking thinking.

I took time to check in by phone tonight with my son Russ in Calgary and daughter Sarah in Vancouver. Russ is busy working 2 jobs getting himself into better financial shape and fitting a busy social life around his work. Sarah is struggling through this early stage of pregnancy; she's prey to sudden mood swings and admits she's hard to live with and be around. I encouraged her to make a conscious decision at the beginning of each day to make the best of it.

One thing I've been thinking about a lot lately is making another attempt to quit smoking. The plan is coming together but needs more work. The date has been chosen but I need to sit down and write about positive expectations & benefits as well as minimizing the negative aspects i.e. severity of withdrawal. It was brought home again today when talking on the phone to Lynda - a good friend of hers at work was in remission from one type of cancer and has just been diagnosed with another in both lungs. Death sentence. She's younger than us and has never smoked. Lynda is coming up on 4 years smoke free and is very supportive of me quitting. If I get much more 'cleaner-living' I'll soon be eligible for the sainthood. What's left??

After lights out tonight I had a long wide-ranging discussion with one of the clients who was having trouble settling for the night. What I'm finding is that it's often harder to lead someone back to faith once they've lost it rather than introducing a faith-based solution to someone who has never had it. I wound up telling him that we'd have to change his name from Peter to Thomas (of the doubting variety). If you've ever read 'Games People Play' - this guy was playing a perfect game of 'Yes, but...'. Always another challenge, doubt or question. Close your eyes, believe, get off the gunwale of the boat and start walking. When you open your eyes and see you're walking on the water you'll have your proof that faith works. Don't ask for assurances up front. Believe and then find your own evidence.

Enough sermonizing for now - must check on my charges.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Yes, planning is a huge part of a successful quit. Research helps, too. There is so much stuff out on the internet now. When I quit I joined an online support group which helped immensely. It no longer exists (the owner couldn't afford to keep up the website which grew beyond expectations).

One of the things I started when I quit was a list of the Joys of Quitting. It grew over time. I'd forgotten all about it until a friend reminded me the other day. I'd be glad to post it for you. Let me know. Maybe save it for a bad day, when you need reminders of why quitting is a good thing.

Good luck, Norm. :)

12:58 PM, January 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home