Saturday, January 13, 2007

The State of Affairs

In an effort to sleep away this cold I wound up oversleeping and getting up late; so much so that I was up, had a smoke, showered and dressed to go in about 40 minutes. Something of a record for me - I like to take my time greeting the day. I'd made a commitment to share the phone coverage at the local AA office with another of our group members and made it to the office with only minutes to spare. It was good to have a chance to just relax and talk with someone I like to spend time with. We pretty much stayed away from program stuff. We talked mostly about 'A's fitness regimin and mindful eating habits so I was telling him about Michelle's recent posts and also an emailed chart about the particular health benefits of a variety of fruits and veggies that my cousin had sent me. I left 'A' to cover the rest of the shift and made it to work in time for the inhouse AA meeting. Good meeting; speaker; message. It's a pretty quiet, focused house these days - a good group.

Lynda had a significant financial windfall recently and she's decided to be 'smart' with most of it by sticking it into a retirement account. She also decided to splurge with the balance and take us on a trip to one of the Carribbean isles. We're thinking late March; if winter ever arrives we'll be sick of it by then. The only problem may be that we're going with 2 other couples and they, along with Lynda, all drink. I don't mind being around people drinking for a few hours but once they start getting seriously altered I get edgy. I'll deal with it when the time comes; one person, one situation, one day at a time. Doesn't pay to anticipate. Regarding more practical matters - we need to get moving on passport renewal very soon or we won't be going anywhere. I have about 10 weeks to tone up and get some meat on my bones - don't want to scare anyone. In our 13 years together this will be the first time we've travelled together - awesome. Better late than never and we are due for a break.

Yes, winter! '06-'07 The Winter That Wasn't!! In this part of southern Ontario we generally have snow on the ground to stay sometime just around Xmas. Here we are almost 3 weeks later and still nothing except a couple of brief storms that left some snow for a couple of days. We've had record setting mild, wet weather so far. Gotta love rain; you don't have to shovel it! My back is grateful. Kudos to the weather gods.

Back to work for now.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

What happened to winter this year? We haven't had any, either. I kind of like winter and miss it a bit. On the other hand, it is nice to be able to go for long walks in warm temperatures.

11:51 AM, January 15, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

I'm enjoying the positive aspects of it, too - but can't say I'm missing the really cold spots. Looks like I jinxed myself with this storm that has passed thru. I scraped freezing rain off the car 4 times yesterday! The temp has dropped and now we have snow at last (just a few inches).

9:11 AM, January 16, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:11 AM, January 16, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:12 AM, January 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home