Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Feelin' Good

It's been quite awhile since I've been able to say that all round, I feel good. It's nice to feel rested, energized, relaxed and healthy. I had a relatively short but very deep sleep today; so deep that I was unaware of some heavy paving equipment working next door. The rest seems to have bled the tension and soreness out of my muscles and I'm left feeling an abundance of energy. I'm back mentally and emotionally, too - acuity and stability wise - and it's made a difference dealing with our clients.

We have one fellow here who has a historic brain injury that affects his short-term memory. He was expressing his worries about whether he'll be able to get full benefit from his stay here in light of his problem. With a little research I think I've come up with a strategy and a few techniques that should make all the difference for him to enjoy a lasting recovery. It'll involve a bit of extra work on my part to supply him with some tools for him to take away with him but I think it'll be well worth it.

Out meeting went ahead as planned today regarding the teen ward. I had 15 minutes with my contact before it started to review some things, then the 4 of us discussed a broad overview of treatment planning options and expectations for about a half hour before bringing the young guy in. We got him involved in some of the planning and made some arrangements about our next meeting and how frequent they would be. We ended up riding back to his house together and getting to know one another a bit on the way before a quick in-home visit. He exhibits some of the features and traits of FAS and is medicated for ADHD.

When that wrapped up I nipped home for a quick dinner with Lynda, had a few laughs and got some positive things said. We'd been at a local flea market a couple of weeks ago and stopped to visit one of the vendors, Earl, who sells a selection of rocks and crystals. He had a new basket on the counter with a variety of inscribed stones in it - 'wishing stones'. They must be popular because he had just 3 left and I picked two of them out; I gave 'hope' to Lynda and kept 'faith'. We held them and gave each other 'knocks' - punched our fists together - and had both left the stones on our night tables so they'd be the last things we saw at night and first in the morning. Yesterday before Lynda left for work I got hers and asked that she carry it in her pocket for the day and to let me know how she felt about it at days end. She says she liked the way it bumped against her as she moved about the office, that it served as a positive reminder that we still have good feelings between us and that there is hope for resolution. 'Never say die cuz I ain't dead yet.'; so sez Norm. I may be a lovesick broken-hearted fool but I'm not stupid. Whatever works to keep her thinking.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're sounding really good, Norm. "Hope" and "faith" are good things to have. :)

2:17 PM, April 18, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

Yes, the 'night' is over figuratively and a transformation seems to have taken place - it's a good place to be as opposed to where I was for so long.

So long as I have faith I can also have hope.

10:52 PM, April 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home