Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Odds & Ends

When I headed outside with my coffee and cigarette this a.m. I was greeted by a couple of the local hawks doing their aerial dance over the greenspace in back of the house. A very nice way to start off the day.

Work was good yesterday, particularly the morning meeting. I don't know if it was the material we covered but the guys were much more into it then than in the afternoon session. Sometimes they get loggy after lunch and yesterday was one of them. My usual work on nights is seen as an entry level position and the pay is awful; poverty level. During lunch my boss told me that as the result of an agency review (and some campaigning on his part) I am getting what amounts to a 30% raise in pay. (now if they'd only make it retroactive!!) It'll make it easier for all these changes to take place and I may be able to stay there doing the job for another while, while I sort out the part-time work opportunities.

Speaking-of: That ward took off from foster care for a few days but is back in care again at an assessment centre. There's to be a meeting today or tomorrow to plan treatment options and what part I may play in that process.

I looked at one apartment in the north central part of town on Monday - a basement. It's about as big as my family room here at the house with everything crammed into that space. Kitchen, living room and bedroom; about 14 X 30 feet. With adjoining bath and laundry. It's clean but small and ill-lit. I'm off to look at another one about 30 kilometers east of here tonight which I'm hoping will suit me better. It's a newer house, another basement but with a walk-out to the yard which backs onto a ravine. It should be much brighter and hopefully higher ceilings.

Owen didn't make it out for Easter; his parents had some unexpected work conflicts and car troubles. I don't think this weekend is possible either; we have a couple of things going on. We have to find a way to make that visit happen soon as we're in major Owen withdrawal.

Lynda and I spent a good portion of Sunday and Monday together and things were fine. We had Mom out to do some running around the shops - she thinks we are completely nuts; I don't blame her. In order for the house title to be transferred into Lynda's name there has to be a formal separation agreement in place so, she had that appointment yesterday and it sounds like it's going through as we discussed. There better not be any surprises. Neither of us felt like cooking last night so Lynda took me for dinner at the pub down the street.

Anyone want to comment on gas/petrol prices?? With the various oil crises and a local refinery fire our prices have been abound the $1.04/liter range for weeks. What that translates to per gallon I'm not sure - I know it's a lot. It sure sucks the money out of your pocket in a hurry.

I haven't taken the time to check in on my regular blog friends but I will soon. Right now I'd best stop lazing around and get on with the day.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gas prices are ridiculous around here. $2.89/gallon. Ugh.

Moving from a house to a small apartment is a big change. I think I noticed it more when we came back home for this visit. The house feels HUGE after spending a couple of months in a tiny apartment. What's weird about that is we downsized when we bought this house. With our children grown and all, we decided a smaller house was the way to go.

"Owen withdrawal." That's a good way to put it. We're hoping to see our granddaughter at least once more before we head back to Sabbaticalville.

Congratulations on the pay raise! That's a pretty good raise, too. :)

3:12 PM, April 11, 2007  
Blogger Kel said...

woohooo on the pay rise
there's nothing better than getting paid more to do what you're already doing

re the petrol prices, we are paying $1.33 per litre of unleaded, which is why we try to take one car into town whenever possible

4:28 AM, April 12, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

Jeez, gas prices get attention, don't they? Our prices have been up and occassionally down like the proverbial toilet seat. 'Normal' for unleaded is around $.85/liter. I can remember when we first converted from imperial to metric and it was $.30/liter. Hmmm, old people say things like that....

8:27 AM, April 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home