Monday, April 16, 2007

Indulgence

Pssstt.......don't tell anyone but, I have a new favourite shop in town. I think I'd mentioned previously about a used CD/DVD shop I'd been to; I've been back twice this week. All my CD's and tapes have been packed for a few weeks and this place has dropped their prices to $2 and $4 per disc. I couldn't resist. Usual retail pricing for current releases here is between $18 and $25 so I went a little nuts and came away with a very mixed bag of nuts. Check this out; some require a bit of explanation.

DVD version of D.A. Pennebaker's documentary - Bob Dylan 'Don't Look Back' from 1965's 3 week tour of of England.

CDs - 'The Best Of John Coltrane'; recordings taken from a 1963 European tour. Jazz giant saxophonist. It's thanks to people like him who pushed the musical envelop that we've enjoyed much of the music that has come our way in the last 50 years.

Marc Johnson 'Shades of Jade' - current jazz as opposed to 'modern' which I believe implies a certain period in the development of jazz. A 2005 release - a 6 piece band including John Scofield on guitar.

'Appalachian Journey' which brings together three of the greatest players of stringed instruments ever; Yo-Yo Ma - cello, Edgar Meyer - upright bass, and Mark O'Connor - violin, with guest appearances by James Taylor - guitar and vocals, and Alison Krauss - violin and vocals. An unlikely fusion and blurring of classical, folk and bluegrass that works. Released on Sony Classical label.

The debut release by Canada's own Jesse Cook, 'Tempest' from 1995. Strongly rooted in flamenco with 'world' influences he's one of the world's premier guitarists. It was one of Cook's subsequent releases that was the deciding factor in buying the Bose surround system; it was playing on the in-store demo system and I was hooked by the sound.

I happened on a few greatest hits compilations -
John Prine 'Anthology' disc two includes a number of 'live' versions; Souvenirs w/ Steve Goodman; Angel From Montgomery w/ Bonnie Raitt.

The John Lennon Collection which covers his solo career and his work with Yoko Ono. Powerful.

Disc Four of Led Zepplin's box set which has some my favourites from their later work; Nobody's Fault But Mine, I'm Gonna Crawl, Moby Dick, In The Evening.

Roxy Music / Bryan Ferry 'Street Life'; a look back at 70's and 80's glitter / early alt. 20 tracks including Avalon and Love Is The Drug.

Mary Chapin Carpenter's 'Party Doll and Other Favourites'. Mary's intentional departure from formula greatest hits packages incorporates a number of live performances from various venues, film and TV. When I see her name on anything I just pick it up - it's like the 'Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval' - I know it will be better than any expectation I may have.

Then, 'Musicology' by Prince from 2004. Haven't had a chance to listen yet but he rarely disappoints. He always has a new spin on things. He's been living on this side of the border for the last few years just west of Toronto. Good to have him.

No Quarter: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant Unledded. A surprisingly successful collaboration by these two ex-Zep's. Jimmy's playing is pretty inspired on most tracks and Plant's voice was still holding up - hmmm 1994; doesn't seem that long ago.

'Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe' - All former Yes & King Crimson members (I think). I expect it'll be heavy, light, dense, thin, intricate and layered.

On top of all that a former client brought me a VHS biography of Bob Marley's ' Time Will Tell' which I thoroughly enjoyed watching Saturday night. Plus, he burned me copies of Marley's 4 disc compilation 'Songs Of Freedom'. If you've ever doubted his musical genius and wordcraft, all you have to do is give this a listen. Everything I have of his is on vinyl so, I hadn't listened to it for ages - I'd forgotten just how political many of his songs are.

For about $50 I managed to get a fix of music that is almost entirely new to me. Aural nourishment. Now for some chocolate...........

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That is quite a mixed bag. And a great deal, too.

"Appalachian Journey" sounds really interesting.

The husband and I might see John Prine in concert in Philly. Haven't decided yet as we have several good possibilities to choose from, but not enough money to attend them all. We might end up drawing names from a hat or something in order to decide as it's a tough choice.

2:04 PM, April 16, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

I'd love to see him again, too; it's been a long time.

With all the big tours cranking up it's tough to choose where you want to spend, isn't it?

2:16 PM, April 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home