Saturday, April 28, 2007

Knocks

While I've managed to keep myself in a pretty positive head space there have been a succession of not-so-good things happening that are affecting my overall mood and outlook.
Apparently my boss didn't have his facts straight when he told me the amount of the raise I was to be getting. Seems there's a lack of will at head office to correct the pay situation and rather than 30% it turns out to be 8%. Once that is corrected to take care of their erroneous tax deduction system I'll be revenue neutral or negative.
The bank turned me down for a mortgage so I've put that in the hands of a mortgage broker. I should hear something on Monday about that. If that doesn't fly I have a couple of papers that I checked the ads in today for fresh leads. I also spotted an apartment for rent in a century home about a kilometer away from here that I can call about Monday.
I'm putting most of how I'm feeling down to prolonged stress, fatigue and having a few too many things going on, all at the same time. Most of the stress has been relieved but.....

I've been doing the 'do' things that are necessary to maintain sobriety; attended a mens closed discussion group at noon Friday; an open speaker meeting tonight; staying in touch with my sponsees and a couple of newcomers; reading, praying, meditating, talking program with members after meetings. Come Monday night I'm to chair our home group meeting again and I managed to line up a good speaker for it. Taking a drink isn't really a concern anymore - my only fear is complacency.

Matter of fact, after tonights meeting I met Lynda and stepson #2 at a bar nearby to hear a friend's band play. They're a straight ahead blues outfit and they're pretty damned good - they've been doing it forever. Vocalist, guitar, bass, drums, keys, sax & trumpet. I took in their first set, wished everyone a good time and split. It was good to hear some live music even if it was only for an hour. A little tonic for the soul.

Brand new day tomorrow: a little work early in the day with Lynda, a visit with Mom, a quick nap and back to work Sunday evening. Stay in touch, all!

2 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

oh man!
how frustrating about the pay rise mix up - there should be a penalty for them making a mistake like that, something in the vicinity of 12 month's worth of 30% more :-)

3:46 AM, April 29, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

oh man!
I've been saying that a lot lately Kel, and a few worse things. I have to admit I like your penalty idea; it works for me.

Today was a much better day mood wise. Warmer with a lot of sun definitely helped, plus we got a lot done. Now I just have to set myself up for the week through tonight, then I can play.

12:29 AM, April 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home