Sunday, April 22, 2007

Stuff & Nonsense

While there've been some pretty heavy sorts of things going on, as reflected in a couple of recent posts, there have also been some positive and enjoyable things happening, too.

Mom and I had a precious hour together before I came to work Friday and I had a chance to catch up on all her news. My son Russ and I had arranged via email a mutually good time for a phone call so we burned up the long distance lines between here and Calgary for a half hour. I think that was Friday before going to Mom's. He's planning on coming to town for a couple of weeks in August and will help me celebrate my birthday before he heads home again. Just around the time he leaves I'll be going to Vancouver to visit Sarah, Daniel and their newborn son. Let them establish a routine, land and enjoy the visit. I'm already looking forward to holding a newborn again even though I get all clumsy - they're so small!!

We've been out to some really good meetings this week and heard some great speakers. This time of year is re-unification time as lots of our older members return from warmer climes in the south. Florida, Texas, Arizona, California. Our 'snowbirds' are flocking home and it's good to see old friends again. My best friend in the program should be home within the week and will be receiving a 25 year medallion in early May.

The search for housing ground to a halt late in the week and I won't have a chance to get back into that until Wednesday, possibly Thursday as I work Monday and again Tuesday into Wednesday morning. Properties that I've checked out and was expecting calls about haven't come to be.

These last few days have been a blessing weather-wise. We'd had a solid 3 - 4 weeks of cold, snowy and very wet grey weather and it seemed spring would never come. Better late than never, the skies cleared finally on Wednesday and they've stayed that way - beautiful day and night with temps having risen from single digits all the way to 20C today. Gorgeous! Mars and the waning moon were playing tag last night and I got a shot of it on my cell phone. The change has lightened every ones mood.

Lynda and I are a pair of nature nuts and we were at the dinner table the other night when she started in updating me about the various species of birds and animals she'd spotted lately. There she is getting all animated and wound up and I butt in with, 'God, you're going to miss me.' "Whatdymean?" 'Lyn, who else are you going to tell this stuff to that will care about it the way I do?' Then I went on to tell her about the 10 deer we'd seen grazing in the corn stubble of a farmers field at dusk the other night. I know I'll miss the hearing of it and the telling. Oh, and the first crane of the year flying over the house....and the swans nesting in the wetlands...the raccoon rooting for grubs in the lawn last night. See the wingspan of that hawk??

There is a side job that Lynda and I normally do each weekend; it's her gig and I help her every time I can. She's going to do it herself today and I'm going to forfeit a couple of hours sleep so we can go see Owen and his parents. We just can't wait - it's been much too long again. And the visit won't be long enough but it'll have to do. 'So it goes.' Situation normal.

I haven't gone into this in the past; there are 'surface' sorts of things that I've had to say about Lynda (as she doesn't care much to be written about, nor her picture taken) but, I guess, one thing I should say is that she has the work ethic of 'I don't know what' - a Trojan perhaps?? Often she works 6 and 7 days in a row; sometimes as many as 20 days in a row without a break. I could never fault her for not working for the things she wants - she's certainly willing to do that. We'd just gotten to a point where she could have dropped a couple of things and now she's taken on the house on her own. And she'll do it, too. Come hell or high water.

These next couple of days might be rough - I get off work in a few hours and have to be up 24 hours later having flipped my shift from night to day. Tuesday I'm back in again for a 26 hour sleepover shift and I have one admission booked as well as two discharges. Plus an afternoon meeting to run, an in-house evening meeting and Wednesday mornings staff census meeting. The two guys being discharged are a contrast; one has been fully invested in his stay, the other has been resistant throughout and is only now starting to get with it. Like night and day. But there is no predicting who will stay clean and sober. None.

I still have some things to straighten out - primarily a place to live and the move - but I like where my mind and moods are at these days. So much improved from just a couple of weeks ago and, in part, I have some of you to thank for your part in that. I hope things are going well for you wherever you are on the globe. I'm doing well; my main problem is that I still love my wife. Go figure.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

how's your timeshifting going Norm?
don't know how you do the shiftwork thing

spinning the prayer wheel for you over here http://www.worldprayers.org/

5:22 AM, April 24, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

It is kind of rough. I'm just up for my long shift after approx 3 hours sleep. It doesn't come easy and no, I don't know how I do it either. I'm getting too old for this wear and tear om body and mind. Thanks for your good wishes, doll - much appreciated.

6:52 AM, April 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home