Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Very Important People

The people that I have most contact with and communicate most intimately with are my friends in AA. My best friend in the program, Terry, returned from Florida last week and post-meeting had our own little meeting in the parking lot catching up on events since we last saw each other on Xmas Eve. He isn't my sponsor although I use him in that capacity a lot. He's more a mentor; he has what I want to attain in recovery; he is conscious of leading me there. Although we hadn't seen each other in months it was as though no time had passed and we fell into the rhythm of conversation very naturally, without thought. This Wednesday he will have achieved 25 years of continuous sobriety and will be presented with his medallion from the group on June 11. He has honoured me by asking me to chair that evenings meeting. Unbelievable; I haven't been around long enough to deserve that.

The one woman in the program that I've best connected with spoke at a meeting we attended on Sunday night. It was the third time I've heard her speak and again it was a totally different talk than previous; again it was magic. She's able to share so openly and honestly that the extent of her vulnerability continues to reverberate through the guys here in the house and with me. Heather goes into a stream of consciousness talk about her addiction, it's impacts on her life and relationships, her path to AA, her struggles in recovery and what her life has become. She touched on our warped ways of thinking, how we self medicated to cope with our emotions, the sick things we came to believe. Over time we've developed a relationship and are very much in tune emotionally and intellectually. When we talk there is no man/woman stuff; we're just people who share a common problem. She claims after speaking that she has little or no recollection of what she has said. If there is one thing I'd like her to know it is this - that by sharing her story she continues to affect the lives and recovery of many. The words she spoke will ring in the ears of a lot of us for a long time to come. Heather and her fiance Bill are to be married on the 20th of this month.

Those are just two of the hundreds who have contributed to my ongoing recovery. Bless them all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home