Monday, June 11, 2007

Time Out

I took a rare night off from writing here last night; I occupied myself with setting up a gmail account. Actually, starting the account was no problem - it was when I exported and imported my main contacts list from one email address into the gmail one that I got confused. It was a time consuming affair as all the entries had to be heavily edited one at a time. Then I got into organizing the entries into groups.....family, friends, AA folk and committee contacts, centre staff, business contacts. I've yet to do my blog buddies as that's from another email address and I don't feel like tackling that tonight; soon though. If you comment or check in here with any regularity I'll be sending a group email and (heads up!) it'll contain a request for you to consider. Hmmm...wonder what that can be about?? You'll just have to wait a wee bit and see.

The reason behind the change to gmail is that I'll be giving up my 'home' email address when I move and although I haven't fully checked it out as yet, gmail seems a more comprehensive, featured vehicle than hotmail. (Any input on that?) I haven't decided if I'll maintain the hotmail address connected to this blog or not - probably but not necessarily.

(and I'd simply note the address here but that whole anonymity issue rears it's head again)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never tried hotmail. I got hooked on yahoo in the early, early days of free email. They were good at the time, but I've since switched to gmail. I like gmail for a variety of reasons, but the one drawback is the conversational (message board) style which can become confusing if you're having an email conversation with someone because you might not realize you have new mail.

Once you get used to how it works, it's cool. :)

8:42 PM, June 11, 2007  
Blogger Kel said...

that's interesting
i'm thinking of starting a new blog and linking to a gmail account, so it's good to hear the pros and cons

3:56 AM, June 12, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

I really haven't had a chance to play with it yet but I'm having trouble with the little things. Like closing those individual conversational windows - give it a little time to sort out the controls I guess.

Also I'm compressing 4 email accounts into one, so I really hope this is the 'one' that does the trick. I've had separate accounts for different purposes but it's getting to be too much trouble.

11:12 PM, June 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home