Saturday, July 14, 2007

7 Random Facts Meme

This got published on the 'wrong' date; when I saved a draft of the rules. It was actually written in the early hours of the 23rd.

Birthday girl Kel at 'thexfacta' tagged me to complete this meme and pass it along. Then a day or two later, friend Robin at 'Life in the Bogs' and 'Bountiful Healing' got me with it as well. After much delay (thanks to my local cable company) and a busy weekend here we go. This, being tagged, has never happened to me before. Does that count as one fact?

The Rules: Players start with 7 random facts about themselves. Those who are tagged should post these rules and their 7 random facts. Players should tag 7 other people and notify them they have been tagged.

1 - seeing as how marriage has been on my mind so much; I'm the only guy I know who is on good terms with ALL his ex-wives.

2 - as a child I was awarded the title of 'World's Pickiest Eater' by my long suffering parents. I still have that badge somewhere. Basically I grew up on peanut butter and honey sandwiches.

3 - my sobriety date passed quietly last Friday. I took a little extra time reflecting on 'gratitude' for the health and sanity I've enjoyed these last 4 years.

4 - brush with greatness: I was knocked on my ass, literally but accidentally, by blues great Willie Dixon (composer of 'Spoonful') at Toronto's El Macombo club back in 1973. He was heading from the dressing room to the stage; I was walking to the washroom to unload some beer. 260 lb vs 130 lb - he won but was gracious enough to help me to my feet.

5 - most exciting experience: definitely my one and only sky-diving jump. I wish I had heavier bone structure so I could do it again. Being as I don't expect to get that I won't be jumping a second or third time, dammit. (I highly recommend it if you're young and fit though)

6 - favourite song (???) - if I can pick just one it would have to be Pink Floyd's 'Comfortably Numb' as it is intertwined with a number of events, friendships and relationships. Plus, it has two great guitar solos and I never tire of David Gilmour's playing. He always manages to change it up a bit and give his renditions of it a new voice.

7 - getting back to food: periodically I intentionally try a sort of food that I've either never had before or, one that for one reason or another I haven't tried for a number of years. Last week it was beets. Guess what? I liked them!

**Note to Robin & Kel** Now, a bit of a problem, as you've tagged a couple of people I was thinking of tagging myself. I'll see if I can eke out 7 tags but it'll be close and I hope they'll choose to participate.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the things I enjoy about these memes is that I always learn a few new things about my favorite bloggers.

I wouldn't have pegged you as a picky eater. I can't say why. Although I guess that's not true anymore since you're periodically trying new foods.

"Comfortably Numb" is a great song.

:)

10:07 AM, July 23, 2007  
Blogger Kel said...

congrats on reaching the milestone of your sobriety date :)

perhaps in celebration we could all have a peanut butter and honey sandwich . . . that would have to better than a beet one

6:57 PM, July 23, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

PB & honey all round!! and then a nice plate of escargot!!

10:37 PM, July 23, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

and thanks Kel - this is the first year I didn't get a little anxious in the days and weeks leading up to it. I find it to be a good thing to get the milestones behind me and out of mind so I can get on with living.

Robin - I no longer consider myself to be a picky eater (although perhaps I am) as I'm willing to try most anything. That's why I'm reconsidering and retasting things I made up my mind about years ago. I might have to do a post about the evolution of eating and food stuffs.

4:43 AM, July 24, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

Here is JPW's response to the meme.

1. My first concert was The Canadian World Music Festival featuring Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Johnny Winter, Ramones, Goddo and Moxy -- Exhibition Stadium, Toronto, 1979......oh....... and yes, I was very high!

2. My heroes...My Dad and Mom!

3. 1977, travelled from Toronto to Banff while all my friends did god knows what while I witnessed the breathtaking beauty of Canada. The next year drove to Prince Edward Island. My dad said "I'd like you to see your country before you grow up and discover others."

4 Favourite sport "Hockey" of course...I played competitively for 11 years and loved every minute of it. brag time!!! I played centre and was Captain for most of the teams.

5. First real girlfriend was from the Bahamas.....blond, blue eyes and a gorgeous tan.......of course I screwed it up!

6. Picked up my first bass at 13 and never looked back. Met Larry Coryell inToronto at a bar called "East 85th Street" next door to St. Lawrence Market. He usually played with a band he created called "The 11th House." This night it was a threesome.....Bass, drums and Larry on guitars. He was signing autographs and I asked if he could sign the back of the shirt I was wearing. As he was signing he said "you gotta strong back man...you must play bass." I said....duh.....

If you enjoy music you gotta hear Larry!

7. There is nothing greater than my children and learning the lessons of life clean and sober!


Thanks bud!

12:29 AM, July 25, 2007  
Blogger Kel said...

eeeww!?! escargot
if you can eat snails, you are so NOT a fussy eater!

5:16 AM, July 25, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

Yeah, and I don't even know if they're good for you or not but so good sauted in garlic butter. Yum!

5:38 AM, July 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home