Friday, October 12, 2007

Keeping Promises......

........albeit belatedly; I do try.

This first one is for Kel - it doesn't reproduce well here but this is an oldie of mine. I developed the negative and printed it at home many years ago; took it to work and blew it up on a process camera, making a half-tone image of it and reprinting it. In the original it's a very textural shot with the grain of the wood standing out; the lighting is also very effective giving the various surfaces a wide range of grays.


This is the only shot I've taken this year of fall foliage. The weather this week hasn't been very co-operative; cloudy, damp, blaaaahh. Maybe tomorrow???

These days I can't see a gate, a door, a path without thinking of Robin. When I saw this house in Vancouver with the nice low stone wall and gate I had to snap a shot. This one's for you.

We took a bus tour while we were in Vancouver. Normally it would have taken us to the botanical garden but it had sustained such enormous damage in the storms they had at the end of last year that we were taken instead to the gardens at a Chinese cultural centre. Every piece of material it took to erect, furnish and decorate the building was brought from China; and this includes all the plantings in the gardens. Now you would expect a photo of said garden, right? No, sorry. The floors fascinated me; each room's floor was different but all had the same attention to detail as the one shown here. Hand laid stone by stone; beautiful!

Lynda and I instantly fell in love with this fearless 3 year old as she calmly fed the pigeons swarming around her. As they fed she stroked their backs and gently spread their wings between her fingers. Every few minutes she looked up and smiled the most blissfully happy of smiles and then turned her attention back to her flock.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That last shot is precious. I'd love to see that first one in person. It looks very interesting.

Thank you for the gate. :)

10:30 PM, October 12, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

That first one is approx 16x20 and I must like it too cuz wherever I am it's hanging about somewhere close. I continues to draw my eye into it and about it.
We couldn't get over the calm and obvious enjoyment of the little girl with her pigeons.
...and of course, you're welcome for the gate. (I'm not trying to 'peg' you - just some things relate; ya know?)

10:47 AM, October 13, 2007  
Blogger Kel said...

love the moody grey shot
very atmospheric

that stone floor is amazing too

thanx for sharing your photos :)

4:02 AM, October 16, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

Yes, the illumination of that barn shot gives it a real 'churchy' feel for me (with all the best connotations of that).

All those floors 'floored' me; I wish I'd taken more shots of them.

4:17 AM, October 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home