Thursday, October 11, 2007

Thursday Musings...

.....any idea why my weeks off always get so full??................

The run down .... Monday night's home group meeting was a good one, good speaker with a strong message. He is an alumni of 'the house' and just celebrated one year sobriety. After the meeting I spent some time with that friend who had relapsed all summer and is just coming back. We're supposed to be heading out to a meeting later on tonight. I checked in yesterday with my other friend who is in mid relapse mode and let him know our friendship isn't based on whether he is sober, or not. I invited him to come along too. He seems lost in handling life's pressures.

Tuesday was a run around day - Lynda and I were supposed to meet for dinner before going to the movies. She stood me up at dinner but managed to make it to the show - 'Across The Universe'. The movie was good, especially for anyone who likes the music of the Beatles as the story line is built around their songs. It started off well, had a weak middle section and finished strong. The leads are all played by actors and singers that aren't familiar to me but there were also some interesting cameo performances - Joe Cocker, Bono, Tim Curry. The vocal performances and arrangements are excellent; to the point that I almost burst into tears a few times. Such a tough guy, I am.....not.

Yesterday I worked. I had imagined I'd be doing a typical dayshift and running a couple of meetings. It turned out I was filling in for the overnight counsellor for the day portion of his shift so I was on admissions and discharges plus one fellows review. I got on the ball and stayed on it and managed to have all my work done in plenty of time before I was relieved at days end. As I was driving home Lynda called to see if I'd like the dinner we'd missed the night before - sure!! Hot turkey sandwiches. It must be true about there being an ingredient in turkey that makes you tired - tryptophan, I think it is. We were falling asleep by 8, went to bed to watch the end of a show and lights out at 9. I slept the clock around and didn't get up until 9 this morning. Must have needed it; I could have had a nap by mid-afternoon too.

Today I took some pictures of our trip over to Mom's and spent an hour with her before going to the mall for some shopping and a haircut. As I was leaving Mom's I noticed a gathering of hawks circling above a point of higher ground - 12 of them. It reminded me of one of my earliest posts about lucking out and observing a huge migration last year at this time. These last couple of hours have been rare time at home simply 'doing' - cleaning up after myself and getting dinner on. While putting the casserole together I've listened to Jesse Cook's 'Vertigo' CD - he's Canadian, an accomplished guitarist whose band puts a 'world' spin on flamenco based music. It's all instrumental except the final track (which is probably the most familiar to most) 'Fragile' where the vocal is done by Holly Cole. Now I have Danny Gatton's most famous release on - '81 Elmira St.' - he was one of America's strongest guitar stylists until his death a number of years ago. I met him when he appeared at Toronto's Horseshoe Tavern back in '92 and I used to correspond with and occasionally talk to his mother Norma who lives just outside Atlanta. Danny grew up there but made his name on the Washington, D.C. bar scene. He enjoyed a strong 'underground' following of people who came to know and love his playing abilities but widespread fame and financial success eluded him.

The #1 topic of conversation these days is the weather - since a very hot and muggy holiday weekend it has gotten cool and damp. From 90F on Sunday and Monday to a high in the mid 50's today with a probability of frost tonight. Incredible.

I bought a bulletin board today for over the computer desk. There'll be some informational sorts of stuff posted there - schedules, resources and such, but primarily it'll be for pictures so if you still want to be included in my 'circle of care' and haven't sent a photo as yet...... thanks to those of you who have already.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home