Saturday, April 05, 2008

Name That Tune......

...... 'What a long, strange trip it's been....'

Anyone who has been a reader here for a time knows what this past year (and a bit) have been like... lots of ups and downs, some chaos, periods of upset, a little insanity, plenty of try.... break up, buy a place, move out, maintain contact, allow the madness to dissipate, the emotions to return, invest in trust again, talk, help one another, care....

So, please join in wishing Lynda and I a happy 10th wedding anniversary. We've made it; sort of.
I had invited Lynda over for dinner this evening but she hadn't felt well for the last couple of days and had started preparing dinner by the time I managed to get her on the phone - I cleaned up and joined her at the house. For a change we had the place to ourselves; her son had roused himself from hibernation and actually left the house, oh my!!, and the boarder had left for work.

We're standing in the kitchen waiting for dinner to finish cooking, Lynda pours a glass of wine and we get into this conversation......

I do want a life together, a real marriage, a love......

I know you struggle with words of expression but I need to hear how and what you feel. I need to know I matter to you; that you want to be with me, too.

I don't want to settle for being together because it's 'comfortable', our situation is a 'known'.

All the practical details are on the table for discussion..... Who is moving where, and when??...... what is being kept; what to abandon? what about the money and finances and properties? ... what are the conditions we're agreeing to; or conversely - screw the conditions and lets just go for it; jump back into the pool.

Lynda's shaking her head, throat is tightening, eyes welling, struggling to speak.... I say, 'Want some help?' She nods. 'You love me.' She nods again and dissolves into a tight embrace holding me close and crying softly. 'You're sorry.' More shaking of her head. 'Me, too.'

Tough lady.

I'm taking her out to our favourite restaurant on Sunday night for a late dinner and a look back at all our years together.

Oh yeah - the lyric is from the 'Grateful Dead's' "Truckin'".

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

sounds like a great way to celebrate a tenth anniversary

6:41 AM, April 13, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

Yes, we had a little trip down memory lane over steaks... and made some plans for the future.

11:29 PM, April 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home