Monday, March 31, 2008

Helter - Skelter.......

....shotgun........blogarama......

There are a blizzard of topics I've been trying to remember to post about so, in no particular order....

signs of spring..... FINALLY on Saturday afternoon: I ducked my head out the side door of the house to check on the dogs and lo and behold - in the greenbelt behind the house 60 or 70 robins!!! They sat, they ate, flitted about a bit but didn't leave that field cuz they wanted to rest and eat some more.

Browsing back issues of 'Canada's National Newspaper' - The Globe and Mail - and found one man's remedy to feeling down in the dumps. "Whenever I'm depressed," he says, "I go find someone who is really happy... and then suck the life right out of them." Hey, whatever works for ya, bud.

Also in that edition; the next / latest global crisis - food inflation. Yes, everything costs more these days including getting the vittles on the table. Prices of three basic staples have more than doubled in the past year - wheat, rice and corn - due in part I learned to the fact that global crop production is quickly being altered to suit the production of bio-fuels. Less food for the relatively poor in order to transport the relatively rich. The ramifications of that statement are virtually endless so....let's just think about that one for a moment, shall we?

(Non)Smoking update. Yikes!! There are a lot of factors at play here, especially my screwed up circadian rhythms (yielding no sleep), but Sunday was definitely my toughest day so far. It was a yay / nay toss-up for a few hours there toward evening but I didn't have one. An unbroken string of 19 days... and my prediction holds true that it won't be a physical urge that gets me. It'll be a mental lapse where I don't like the state I'm in and want relief from that state through smoking. The lack of sleep is making me feel punchy and edgy - not a good combo - and is beginning to affect my relations with people about me. Just a titch snappy.

One of those good news / bad news elements to not smoking is my reawakening sense of smell; I think I might have noted this early on but..... Relating to my seizure disorder I have to be cautious around strong odours, both pleasant and unpleasant. That may also have something to do with why I had been somewhat deficient in my ability to smell a variety of things and distinguish between scents - the brain is a marvelous thing in all it's complexity (so much so that we don't even have to think about it). Anyway, the good stuff smells really, really good; the bad stuff not so good at all. Is that burnt toast I smell? No, really....?!?!

Early last week my first wife sent some pictures of our grandson to my mom but not to me so I emailed her to give her a hard time about it. She replied saying that if I had a mind to, all I had to do was register at Facebook and I would find all sorts of pictures on her page, our daughter's page, our son's page...... so, we are connected once again; electronically this time. It was her birthday yesterday. Stick around and one day you'll be as old as the rest of us Red.

A former client of ours tracked me down at home last Wednesday and we talked for about 45 minutes on the phone trying to get him sorted out somewhat. I called into work and recommended getting him back in for treatment, if only for a week or 10 days to get him re-established in recovery. I heard no more about it and was very pleasantly surprised to find him here when I arrived for work this evening. He'd made his way here early the next day from quite a distance away. It's a great thing when people commit to action like that...... to what lengths are we willing to go?? to ANY lengths.

Earth Hour. Where were you when the lights went out??? There were noticibly fewer lights on around our home in Oshawa; Toronto had a number of lights out events and hit their power reduction target; Canada had the largest per capita participation world wide beating even Australia where this originated just last year. Here is an associated video called Airsick - check it out.

Manana - have a good one unless you already have other plans.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear your quit is still going well. :))) I'm still hanging in there with mine, too.

Aren't we fab? :)

The good news/bad news concerning the sense of smell was one of the first things I noticed, too, when I quit. I hope it doesn't cause you too many difficulties.

The food inflation has me planning a garden this year. With farms so close by, we don't usually plant our own, but there are things I can't get at the local farms so I might as well grow it myself.

3:32 PM, March 31, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

We are SO fab :) I really had to apply what I know yesterday, I'll tell ya. Glad you're continuing to do so well - attagirl!!
The smell thing is mainly a distraction - funny what we forget when we haven't experienced it for a long time. I had forgotten how many metallic smells there are...
This food inflation story is massive and the impacts far reaching. I'll be doing more reading about it to see what sort of actions I can take.

4:48 PM, March 31, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

The other thing that occurs to me is linking the quit with fitness. I'm dead skinny but definitely not in shape like I ought to be. Hmmm...as it warms up....

9:49 PM, March 31, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home