Monday, September 15, 2008

Morpheus Rising

Well, I'm still far from being completely well but I'm feeling way better than I did 3 or 4 days ago. The days sort of blurred together there after Sarah and Zeph left town and I was able to get on with the business of being good and sick. There was a quick trip to a clinic and the pharmacy in there somewhere - got some preventative antibiotics for the old chest cavity. I must confess the only time anymore that I have any sort of urge to drink is when I'm physically unwell. Gotta tell ya - this past week I felt like drinking A LOT. Ah well.... this too passed. I have a vague memory too of having put on, along with one other member, a service meeting at the local detox. That must have been Wednesday...... 3 patients attended. I knew one of them....

More words and music - another trip to the library:
I hadn't finished the Jodie Foster bio so I renewed it. I found a couple of hefty tomes, both biographies, one on Hunter S Thompson by Wenner & Seymour and the other about Alice Walker by Evelyn C White. During my teens I cut my teeth reading Thompson's contributions to Rolling Stone magazine - installments of 'Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas'. I don't know much about Walker but have heard nothing but high praise for her writing so decided to check her out.
Tunes - Sonny Rollins - 'Without a Song' - The 9/11 Concert
B B King & Friends - '80'
Van Morrison - 'Keep It Simple'
Telluride Bluegrass Festival - '30 Years'
New Guitar Summit - 'Shivers' - Jay Geils, Duke Robillard, Gerry Beaudoin & guest Randy Bachman

By Saturday afternoon I felt well enough to drive Lynda an hour or so north to her hometown for a visit with one of her (many) brothers and his family. They had moved recently into their new house so we gave it a thorough going over.We had dinner at an area restaurant and then buzzed by her mom's place for an hour long visit. Good old Mother Mary. It was well after dark when we set out for home; just as we left the skies opened up and we drove home through a lashing rain and high winds. It was good to get home and into the house.

I don't know if that storm was part of hurricane Ike's aftermath but we had similar sessions tonight along with a 'wall of wind' that lasted for hours. A constant moaning wind - not gusty, just strong and unwavering. There's lots of scudding cloud illuminated by the full moon tonight. Thankfully the forecasters were wrong again; they had been issuing flood warnings while telling us to expect up to 3 inches / 75 mm of rain. We got a mere fraction of that as most of it passed north and south of us.

Scanning around on Facebook earlier; I don't use it much but primarily to connect more easily with immediate family. Sarah has posted a bunch of pictures from her trip to our place and now her mother, my ex, has picked a few of them up (pictures of Zeph) and posted them on her own page. Strange to see, I gotta tell you. (We've been apart for over 20 years.)

Getting weary.... must go....

2 Comments:

Blogger WEB SHERIFF said...

WEB SHERIFF
Protecting Your Rights on the Internet
Tel 44-(0)208-323 8013
Fax 44-(0)208-323 8080
websheriff@websheriff.com
www.websheriff.com

Hi Norm,

On behalf of Exile Productions and Exile Publishing, many thanks for plugging Van Morrison's new album and, for your readers’ info, up-to-the-minute news on Keep It Simple and Van’s 2008 shows is, of course, available on www.vanmorrison.com and www.myspace.com/vanmorrison and, for a limited period, you can still see Van's exclusive BBC sessions at http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/vanmorrison/video/ . We’re also pleased to announce that an increasing archive of exclusive film footage of Van Morrison performances has now been made available for fans on Exile’s official YouTube channel at http://uk.youtube.com/user/OfficialExileFilms.

Thanks again for your plug.

All The Best,

WEB SHERIFF

5:39 AM, September 15, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

So, for everyone's information - there you have it and thanks to web sheriff for being so 'on-the-job'. That appeared close on the heels of my post.

Now I better give it a listen and share what I think of it, hmmm?

10:45 PM, September 15, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home