Saturday, November 29, 2008

Little Things

There will be a separate post for the really big news when I get to it.

I haven't written lately about observations of the natural world about me here - and that in itself is unusual. Most of the migrations through the area went unnoticed by me this year and that might be because I don't hang around outside smoking like I used to. There are waves to the Canada geese migration which I did notice. The main part of it is massive with all the females, the sick, the elderly and the younger males. That part of it can be spread out over a few weeks and seems endless. Like 'where are they all coming from?' Typically there is a definite lapse of a couple of weeks and then the oldest healthy males begin to come when the weather turns sharply colder.

Ahead of the geese went all our colourful songbirds; gone until springtime arrives again. This week I saw the first bunch of chickadees and a pair of cardinals. We have a number of blue jays squacking in the neighbourhood. Hide your nuts!

We've noticed the last few evenings right after dusk a pair of brilliant objects in the south-western sky and wondered aloud what they might be. Tonight after arriving at work I got on the 'Sky and Telescope' site and found it is Venus and Jupiter. Have a look after it gets full dark - they're in view until about 8 p.m. - can't miss 'em. They are within 2 degrees of one another.

I seem to recall there is supposed to be a very bright object in the daytime sky known as 'the sun' but I haven't been fortunate enough to have seen it lately. There is to be a big storm rolling through beginning tomorrow night so perhaps it'll show it's happy face when that is over with.

Skipping subjects now but... I've about given up reading Howlin' Wolf's biography. The author has done a very thorough job and cites numerous sources but there is a uniformity, a sameness to what everyone has to say about him. It's gotten tiresome by the halfway point so I think I'll bail. Maybe I'll just spot read what he has to say about the 'London Sessions' release which is the only record of his that I own.

After writing about having gained weight I started thinking about when, what and how much I eat. The 'what' part is okay - pretty healthy variety. When and how much depend on whether it's a work week or not. If I'm not working I have a bad tendency to forget to eat lunch - busy with running around. I'll skip it and wait to eat dinner with Lynda if she's around or if she isn't have dinner early. My portions seem normal to me.
Now during my work weeks things get cranked up a notch because I'm usually up 18 or so hours a day. Check out this list:
2 p.m. - 3 coffees w/ cream & sugar + a bowl of cereal w/ milk.
5:30 p.m. - a full dinner with Lynda.
Through the evening and night - coffee, tea, water and snacks like granola bars, chocolate, yogurt, berries.
Anytime between midnight and 3 a.m. another full dinner - whatever the guys in-house had for dinner - a plate is saved for me.
Sometimes I'll have another bowl of cereal before I leave for home so I don't wake through the day because of hunger. (Sleep is a precious commodity which needs protecting, don't ya know?) Seem like a lot?? Maybe it is too much for the amount of energy I expend this time of year.

Hmmm... a little exercise couldn't hurt.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home