Sunday, March 22, 2009

Prince - Fan or No

Yeah, you know who I'm talking about - Prince and/or 'the artist formerly known as', and once again as Prince. He's a guy that people tend to hold strong feelings about either yea or nay - there doesn't seem to be much middle ground about him or people's feelings about his music.

There's a music blog I've mentioned before - Blog On The Tracks - and Simon wrote a column / post the other day primarily about Prince's early years that I found really interesting. LINK. Personally I think he's one of the most talented musicians and producers out there. I wouldn't describe myself a an enormous 'FAN' but anytime I come across anything of his I know it'll be worth a listen. What I do know is he has a terrific passion for his craft and you can tell by listening just how much of himself he puts into the production of his albums.

Prompted by Simon's post I headed over to Youtube to refresh my memory on some of the tracks he mentioned. Lo and behold, every song video with Prince's name attached to it has had the audio muted by Prince and / or his publisher. Like I said in my comment at Simon's blog; it is Prince's work and his prerogative as to how it is used.

If you'd like to see Prince really shred up the fretboard check him out here performing in an ensemble at an awards show. His solo begins at about the halfway point in the song - 'As My Guitar Gently Weeps'. Watch for George Harrison's son Dhani playing acoustic guitar to the right of Tom Petty. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifp_SVrlurY

Coming to work tonight I put his 2004 release 'Musicology' into the CD player and cranked the speakers right up high. Ya know, it's difficult to drive while shuckin' n jivin'!! Damn near ditched it a couple of times. Sure was a fun way to wake up though - highly recommended.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like his music but he takes himself way too seriously.

4:30 PM, March 23, 2009  
Blogger Sue said...

Prince is a craftsman.

Unfortunately - and this says more about me than about him - his visual package is such that he maketh me to vomit. And his music isn't really my thing, but you know - I don't play the violin but who can not appreciate a Stradivarius?

7:45 PM, March 23, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

Yeah, it's unfortunate some of the things that have happened, or he has done over the years to drawn bad press. It has taken away from his musical accomplishments in toto.

9:25 AM, March 24, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home