Thursday, March 26, 2009

Upside Down House

I'm dealing this week with the aftermath of one of Lynda's brainstorms. Which isn't entirely a bad thing; it's just more to do within an already busy schedule.

Lynda's brother had a quantity of hardwood for sale at a great price and he also has time off work in which to install it. Bingo - the project is on. Our neighbour happened to be outside when Lynda got home and they got talking about it. He is a recently retired GM guy who has always had a second career going as a painter; he comes in, has a look around and offers her a great price to finish the room. Saves us the trouble and some money. He has an electrician friend who will install a crossbar in the attic for a fan to hang from; extend an electrical line to the centre of the ceiling and put up a fan. Beautiful.

So yesterday, out of the blue, was spent clearing one of the bedrooms and finding a spot for all the contents. Not an easy task when you don't have a great deal of space to work with. Tearing up carpet and carting it outside. Today I get to pull all the staples left from the carpet and sweep and vacuum all the fine gritty dirt that had sifted through the carpet over the years.

There has been a problem developing over at the townhouse. Stepson #3 noticed an audible noise and heat coming from the electrical panel in the basement. I had my old friend and neighbour Terry in to have a look - he's a licenced electrician. We've arranged for him to replace it ASAP because the panel has run well beyond it's expected lifespan. Terry has killed a couple of circuits to reduce the load and keep it safe until he can get to it. It better be soon cuz SS#3 is nervous as a long-tailed cat in a roomful of rocking chairs.

I've spent a couple of hours at Mom's each day waiting for a contractor to show up and cost a job she wants done. So far, three no shows in a row. It's been nice having a chance to visit with the old doll though.

That is how my week off is shaping up; nothing exciting but a little busier than I had hoped. Maybe I can squeeze in a doctor's appointment to see about this lingering cough.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hated the staples when I replaced our carpet. I eventually just used a flat nosed shovel and scraped them up. Worked better than crawling around all day.

That was the Downstairs. (and would you believe one room still had 3 inch forest green shag carpet)

The upstairs was a compleatly different story. the original carpet had a built in pad and the whole thing got GLUED down....Arggg. Carpet got pulled but it left huge swaths of black, powdery, crumbly, foam glued to the floor....I spent hours scraping it up...Got some orange based solvent...scraped some more...Scraped the next day....Wept openly...scraped some more. Bagged the piles of black goo and vacumed...Fun times...

4:47 PM, March 27, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

Thanks Rao - Sorry about the delay here. Sounds like the reno where nothing goes according to plan.

I'll have a follow up post about this week I'm sure. My computer access time has been severely limited this week so I have some cathing up to do in terms of my regular reads and doing some posting.

10:02 AM, March 28, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home