Saturday, June 16, 2007

Townhouse

Yes, a few details.

It too is in Oshawa, about a 15 minute drive from the house. Just far enough removed from there that I don't need to head that way unless it's necessary. It isn't in the nicest part of town but the area is in a re-building stage. It's adjacent to the main GM car plant; we also have a truck plant in town, not too far away.

The layout of the building is kind of odd with the units piggy-backing each other. One of the reasons I picked this one is it's southern exposure. (That's also why I spent a couple of thousand more for it than it's worth.) My neighbour above and behind me faces north. There's a common vestibule that serves 4 units; by chance, a friend, Terry, lives across the hallway and up half a dozen stairs. He's a former client who has become a friend over the last 6 months and I think it'll be good for both of us to be near at hand.

Mine is a 2 bedroom unit and I'm thinking about setting up an office in the second bedroom. It would also be a tax write-off besides being a work space. The master bedroom is a good size; big enough for me and my furniture with lots of closet space. I like the layout of the kitchen and am looking forward to getting into some cooking. Lord knows I love to eat. I can see furniture placement being a problem in the living room as it's long and narrow- probably 9' X 24'. TV and stereo set-up, bookcases, computer, seating, lights.....not too sure how that'll work out. The basement has a rough finish - a small workroom, another small sitting room and utility space along with clothes washer and dryer. I'd likely use that sitting room for a studio space once I get organized.

I'll be keeping a close eye on finances for the first few months to see how things work out so there won't be any big ticket 'house warming' items on the horizon. My part-time work should cover a couple of utility bills and some entertainment. Anything that crops up on the 'needed' list will be found at the bargain stores or auction halls. (I love auctions - a little too much maybe.) The first thing I need to buy is a bed for when Russ comes to visit in August; can't have him spending 2 weeks on the couch.

About half the packing is done now which is pretty good considering how little spare time I've had. My room, the computer room and most of the loose stuff in the garage is done. Now it's just tools and the like, linens and kitchen stuff to go. A few of my friends have offered help with the actual move - now it's about getting them all at the same place, at the same time; and renting a truck. I'm thinking it'd be a good idea to go in the day after I get the keys and put up a bunch of shelving to slot all the boxes in as soon as we walk in the door with them. Then simply go through them one at a time to unpack everything. At least that way they wouldn't be strewn about the place cluttering everything up.

Three weeks to go!!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

have you tried freecycle?
if you can find what you're after it's better than auctions or even opshops - it's free

all in the name of being environmentally aware and recycling consumer items - of course ;)

7:31 PM, June 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may add another to the list of "movers" already compiled. Just keep me informed as to what the time and date will be.

And yes, I will adorn myself with proper attire.

It'll be my pleasure to assist in your move. Your writings have been very interesting and helpful in my day to day.
I had gotten back with "T" and the relationship has since soured eternally. I saw it coming and already had been working through the proper emotions and recognizing the signs of letting go and the lesson of "powerlessness" one must come to accept. Mmm....a certain "Serenity Prayer" comes to mind.
What you write is therapeutic. I would come by to read, to see if your text resonated with where I felt I was emotionally. I have been working on myself intensely for a few months now and have also been spending time in the gym.
I am searching my spirit as to what type of hobby I might be interested in taking up seriously. It must not be something overly expensive. I've always loved horses but .....where to begin....and where to get the part-time job to consider such an interest. I think "Western" would be more to my likeing than "English" riding. I would also like a "paint" as to the type of horse. These are horses with large patches of colour to them. Ya might say right out out of an "injun" movie. I know the proper term is First Nations People and/or Aboriginal, but I had to get the feeling across.
That's it for now.

Oh, by the way, our leadership position needs to be filled at work. I'm thinking of taking a run at it due to my being a part of the "Team" since its inception. They have given two weeks only to fill the position. That means I'll know pretty quick. What I'm getting at, is if I was fortunate [blessed] enough to get the job a position would be available on the "Team" itself. I would guess that I might be in a position to choose who might get an interview... Nudge, nudge, wink, wink!

"Preparation is everything" one once said to me. I can only hope I have enough of it. If not, it's onward toward continued preparation for the next opportunity.
Maybe...that can be the case when thinking of relationships too.

Be well!

John

11:25 PM, June 16, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

Kel - thanks for the suggestion; I'd heard of freecycle but hadn't ever checked into it. I just signed up to the local chapter and posted a request for a few small things. We shall see. Good idea.

2:59 AM, June 17, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

John - Glad to have you with us. (and yes, preferably clothed) I'm glad you've been working out as I need you younger guys and your strong backs for the larger stuff. Looks like the weekend of the 7th.

Sorry to hear about you and T - I see her occassionally around town as I come to work but haven't spoken to her. She's a nice lady.

As to your 'suggestion' about preparation - I'd need something more specific in order to prepare. You know I'm doing contract work for CAS, right? I'm unable to recall which branch of which agency you're with. Memory is shot and it's been awhile since you told me.

Re: the hobby idea - how about Windfield Farms?? Top of the list. Thoroughbreds.

3:13 AM, June 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A long and narrow living room does present a challenge. Our living room in the Bogs is like that and I've yet to be satisfied with furniture arrangements. We'll probably figure it out in another few years. LOL!

5:56 PM, June 18, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

All things in good time, right Robin? Don't sweat the small stuff!

10:05 PM, June 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home