Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Some Of The Rest

Monday's meeting went off well and I was really happy for Terry that it did. All but one of the scheduled participants were able to attend and take part. Terry has made quite an impression on many people's lives in his 25 years of sobriety. Attendance was triple what one of our regular meetings usually is - so, in front of about 120 people, I pretended not to be nervous and ran the show. Good acting Norm! In my mind's eye the crowd looked pretty funny sitting in their underwear.

Prior to the meeting I was outside talking with some of the arrivals when Wonder Woman pulled into the drive. I'd invited her to attend at some point last week and while she said she'd consider it, I wasn't fully expecting her to show up. The only other meeting she'd ever attended was my one year medallion. I introduced her around to some of my friends and found her a seat up front. It sounds like she came away with some favourable impressions; I was glad to have her support on a night that was important to me. She left directly after the meeting and after we'd cleaned up the hall I went to a reception at Terry's home for a half hour before coming to work (late).

I was hoping for a quiet night but it wasn't to be. I'd made some headway in my work when a client came to tell me one of his roommates was in serious pain. After talking with the sick fellow for 10 minutes it was clear we needed an ambulance so it was into that whole routine. Calling EMS, collecting treatment info, getting consents signed, bagging medications all while continuing to monitor and assess the guys condition.

One of Lynda's workmates gave her a gift set made around the prose 'Footprints'; including the prose imprinted on a piece of glass, a lapel pin and a key chain. She gave me the keychain - 4 little brass feet in step - cool. So appropriate in that I've been carried a good deal lately.

It seems there's been a cumulative effect on Lynda by what I've said and done, what I've not said and done, and how I've conducted myself though all this. Through dinner I couldn't talk about any topic, could hardly look in her direction without her starting to cry. And I wasn't talking for emotional effect - just conversation. She's having a rough time and says we're going to talk but that she isn't ready. I have no expectation regarding eventual outcome other than it may mean this will be a separation and perhaps not a divorce. But even that is looking too far forward. We need time apart. I need time apart. I didn't know the roller coaster was an endurance event; I'm burnt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home