Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Funny, Ain't It??.....

...How you can re-read something you've written and there's an underlying 'tone' to it that wasn't intended. That's the case with last nights post...it sounds downright bitchy on a couple of points. Oooopps! I guess I'm caving in to fatigue and ongoing pressure, sometimes without being aware of it.

Today, once I was up and cleaned up, I picked Lynda up and we went to visit my brother and his wife at Mom's. It's him I was describing as a jerk; he's done and said some things lately that need to be addressed but I held my tongue in check. There will be more appropriate times and settings for that conversation. This will be one that Mom doesn't have to be party to. It was good to see my sister-in-law looking so happy and healthy. She doesn't like to travel so we only see her once or twice a year. She's contributing to a book being published later this year about a line of high end costume jewelery that was produced in the 50's and 60's (which I think is called Juliana's).

Tonight the bunch of us from the centre loaded onto the bus going to my home group meeting. The chairperson wasn't very organized and so I wound up being drafted to speak at the last minute...literally, the very last minute. I thought I came across sort of flat but the guys from the house made a big deal out of it. At the end of the meeting, the group presented me with a pin recognizing my four years of sobriety and I had another few words to say. The guys will be sick of me soon as my boss has asked me to come in early tonight to run our in house alumni meeting. Poor buggers.

One of my favourite annual events is coming up - the Perseid meteor shower. There's a great local viewing spot, a conservation area called the Purple Woods, at the height of the moraine running E-W about 15 miles north of town - well removed from the light pollution of the cities running along the north shore of Lake Ontario. The parking lot will be full of people lying out in the beds of their pickups and on lounges gazing up to see the spectacle. The height of the show is to be the nights of Aug 11, 12 and 13 between 2 and 4 am but there will be sightings anytime after full dark (just not as frequent). Bring your mosquito repellent and a thermos of coffee.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant to mention this before:

Congratulations, Norm, on your 4 years of sobriety! :)

Well done.

I enjoy watching the Perseids too. I'm glad we'll be back in the Bogs for that. There's too much light pollution here, being so close to Philadelphia.

1:54 PM, July 25, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

I find doing things like checking out meteor showers is akin to 'stopping to smell the roses'. The night sky is full of magic and all we have to do is take time to look up in order to enjoy it.

And thank you.

11:52 PM, July 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home