Tuesday, June 24, 2008

First Night Back

... back on the job, that is. I flew back into town Sunday afternoon and evening; then got held up deplaning as paramedics tended to one passenger who wasn't well. Short wait for luggage, got'em, outa here.... A relatively quick drive across the top of Toronto and out to the 'Shwaah had me in the driveway by 9.

A thorough check-in of all the news with Lynda as she scanned through all my pictures - not enough of Zeph (they're practically all of Zeph!), only a couple of Sarah, NONE of Daniel - whoops! Ah well; we don't change much after 25, do we? Anyway, I will try to post a picture or two of Zeph sometime soon. In the meantime, picture the Gerber baby and you pretty much have him. (No bias here.)

He spent a good deal of time, (periodically,) trying to figure out what my beard is all about and then trying to remove it from my face. Lord, he is strong!!! I bear the scars that prove it. His other big thing is puckering up and blowing hard enough to move things with his breath - curtains, dreamcatchers, chimes, whatever...... I freaked him out when I pointed at a light, blew at it and flicked it off; made him do a double-take. 'Wow, Pops - how'd you do that?' Eyes like saucers, they were.

Vancouver itself?? A beautiful city. The local economy seems to still be booming in preparation for the Olympics; lots of construction, lots of dough $$$$$. Most of the people I met and talked with were AA folks so ready acceptance, no barriers, very open and welcoming. I met more of Sarah & Daniel's family & friends this trip, too.

I found the weather a bit cool and damp (the first couple of days) but... if you don't like it presently, just wait half an hour and it will be different, for sure. Nice to look down the lane and have mountains in view, I have to say. There is a different quality to the light there that is hard to explain - sharper, contrastier, refracts and reflects and bounces a lot. The west coast time shift is pretty cool - you can watch Letterman at 8:30 fergawdsakes; gotta like that if you want to be up early.

Time to pack it up here. Meant to say - hi to BJ - I saw you stopped by. Later...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*feels a certain northwestiness pride*

That light thing, you know? There's a much more dramatic rendition of that up in northern Canada, and Alaska. I know just what you mean.

8:49 PM, June 25, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

I'm still not sure what to attribute it to - humidity, being near sea level, wide open vistas... but there is a clarity to it that stops you in your tracks.

3:21 AM, June 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home