Sunday, June 29, 2008

Scatterings....

...a bit of this, a little of that.....

A wonky week is about over, as is my work week in a few hours. My week of night shift and Lynda being on afternoons has meant that we haven't laid eyes on one another since she left for work Monday after lunch. (Well, except if you count when I'm climbing into bed around 6 a.m., she pries open one eyelid and asks if I let the dogs out or not.)

Later on today she is to wake me and we have a couple of hours work to get done and behind us. I hope the AC is cranked cuz it's supposed to be a muggy one.

Lynda is back on her regular day shifts for the week and I have no work scheduled -- call-in shifts are a possibility. We're looking forward to our national holiday on Tuesday - Canada Day. I've checked the papers to see what sort of celebrations are planned in the communities around us here. There are some good bands playing and a number of firework displays scheduled. Nothing like lying on a blanket together on a hillside in the dark and gazing up at the exploding coloured showers. Oooooohhh!! Aaaaahhh!! See THAT one?? Tres cool!!

Yeah! June 29th..... half the year is over already. In six months time Christmas will be over; incredible.

Oh yeah - I meant to begin this post with *this* - 'Namaste'. I had seen it before but didn't know what it meant (I think it was on Solbeam's blog) so I did a quick search - here is a little info and definition.
Namaste is a common spoken greeting or salutation in the Indian subcontinent. When spoken to another person, it is commonly accompanied by a slight bow made with hands pressed together, palms touching and fingers pointed upwards, in front of the chest. The gesture can also be performed wordlessly and carry the same meaning.
"That which is of the Divine in me greets that which is of the Divine in you."
In recent times, and more globally, the term "namaste" has come to be especially associated with yoga and spiritual meditation all over the world.
Credit - Wikipedia
The woman who spoke at our meeting this evening began her talk with this greeting. I like it when our guys get to hear a strong message of recovery from a woman - they get to connect the dots and become aware that we are all prey to the same sorts of fears, pain, upset and anger. Those are shared experiences - across gender - and we can enjoy the same benefits in recovery that she described as well. She is also a member of the professional medical community so she was able to share some of that valuable perspective.

I've spent a great deal of time this week roaming the blogs - reading a ton, commenting not-at-all, passing on snippets of related material or asking direct questions about things that twig my interest or that aren't quite clear. ???? A little help here ??? There is one blog I saw a few months ago written by an EMS worker in Britain and I've been unable to track it down again. He writes about cases he sees in his work. If it sounds familiar, let me know please.

My CV needs to be reworked at home this week as I have a line on a couple of jobs. That's a 'good news - bad news' situation; my computer will have to be hooked up (finally) but, where to put it? That would allow me to download the pics of my trip and Little Zeph tho...... hmmm.

There have been a couple of small disappointments AND joys this week. A planned meeting with one of my sponsees didn't come together even though he is a hurting unit these days and needs to talk. Co-dependant. Under the 'happy accident' banner - I ran into my friend and neighbour from the townhouse, Terry and we had a solid 45 minute yack over coffee. Good for me; good for him. And, incredibly, I was asked for HELP by one of my stepsons regarding a personal problem!!! So, I helped him..... amazing......

What else; 100+ days smoke free now.... probably 110. 3 1/2 months. It's strange but I've had more and stronger urges to pick up this past week than at any time since I quit. Go figure. Within a month I will have 5 years sober - another freakin' miracle. No really, as time goes by it gets to be less and less about substance. If I can recover, anyone can. My old friend Audrey was at tonight's meeting; she celebrates 51 years sober in a couple of weeks (and didn't get sober until she was 38... you do the math.)

Time for a walk about the place and a bite to eat. I might be back .... or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home