Thursday, July 26, 2007

Coincidently

As always, buzzing away in the background, there's a plethora (a $5 word there) of correspondence happening. Some of it is in relation to this blog but there's a lot besides that with family, friends, co-workers and program friends. Some are short and to the point; informational stuff. Others cover lots of ground on various subjects and are quite lengthy. One web of communication that had broken down for a number of months is the one between our Addictions professor and a core group of 6 of us students. We used to be in regular contact and have social gatherings at one anothers homes every couple of months. As the bunch of us found jobs in the field and began working at various institutions doing a variety of shifts, things began to slide. Phone calls and emails got less frequent, the get-togethers fewer and less well attended.


Out of the blue a couple of nights ago, I heard from one of the gals (Wendy) via email, announcing her engagement and upcoming wedding. I wrote her back within a couple of minutes and we had a little back and forth for half an hour catching up on each others news. Then earlier today another announcement, this one from Catherine, that she'd finally found work a little over 2 years since we completed the course. Hallelujah!! When I arrived at work this evening there was a message that one of the counsellors had been talking to a gal who knows me at an agency in Toronto; that I'm to call Shafeedah - another classmate. I checked my inbox for blog comments and here's yet another ('fuzzychip' - that nickname is a story in itself) from my best friend in the class. What are the chances of that happening in less than 48 hours??

I don't really care what the odds are; I'm just glad we're getting the lines of communication going again. There's talk of a party early in October.

All this reminds me of how much I enjoyed being back in school at age 50; to be learning a variety of new materials and trying out some new skills. We had a ball and a few of us had a healthy competition going regarding marks. 'fuzzychip' tied in top spot; I was in a tie for 3rd. If I had the time and money I'd gladly go back for more.

Getting back to correspondence: I'm blessed with a number of people who continue to send me thought provoking, supportive or spiritual messages. The one downside is that I'm getting behind; I can't keep up with the volume lately. One person I especially appreciate is my cousin BJ who checks in here frequently but doesn't comment on-site. We email; we email alot. And we talk about everything under the sun and then some. We're getting to know each other in a whole new way - gotta love it. I feel a day trip coming on - she lives in a small city I've never been to and from everything I hear it's beatiful. We'll have to work on some arrangements.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news about Wendy and also that Catherine is now working - i need to send an email with my new address as i am not using my old one anymore. Funny how things happen - i was doing a little retail therapy tonight and met my supervisor from when i did my placement - 2 years ago now!!!!! How time flies.

9:50 PM, July 26, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

Life is full of little surprises which keep things interesting. I can't believe how the time has flown either - too fast!

I'm glad you're back; I could use a dose of your sanity one day.

12:04 AM, July 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home