Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A Funny Thing Happened....

....when I went to leave work Tuesday morning. No keys!!! No car keys. No house keys. Where the heck is that panic button??? Oh, RIGHT HERE!!!!

I freaked. Mad scramble going through my pants and jacket pockets. Nothing. My briefcase. Nothing. Back through everything again, emptying everything out on the desk. Crap. It would be a $40 cab ride home and then no way to get in.

Luckily, a couple of things had happened lately. One - while packing I'd come across my spare set of car keys. (hadn't known where they were for ages) Two - just after moving I'd made a spare set of house keys and given them to friend / neighbour Terry.

Another stroke of luck - Terry is in town and happened to hear his phone ringing downstairs at 6 a.m. He got up, went down to my place, found the keys and was here within an hour.

While waiting for him, one of our early rising clients asked me why I was still here and after relating the problem he told me he'd seen a set of keys on a chair at the meeting we'd been at the previous night. Hmmm...worth a try. When Terry showed up I headed for the hall and let myself in with the key code. I have no recollection of taking those keys from my pocket in that hall but, sure as hell, when I let myself in they were sitting right up front on a table.

Am I ever glad I don't have to replace all those keys. My place, 'our' place, Mom's, a remote alarm control, briefcase, mailbox, gate......a slew of them.

That's the first (and hopefully the last) time that has happened. Someone is looking out for me.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a key adventure on Monday. I was all ready to go out and run some errands, went to grab my keys off the corner of the desk were I ALWAYS keep them (I've found that habit is the enemy of forgetfulness), and couldn't find them.

I searched high and low. Emptied my purse. Emptied the desk drawers. Went through the pockets of all my shorts and jeans.

No keys.

My husband, being a very absentminded person who has not yet made friends with habit, frequently loses his keys, his phone, his head if it weren't attached. It finally occurred to me that he probably took his keys and mine with him to work. However, I wasn't sure of that and one thing that really worried me was that he might have left his keys in the apartment door overnight. He does that a lot. He lets himself in and forgets to take the keys out of the lock.

Anyhow, after a bit of worrying and several calls to my husband, he finally called back and sheepishly admitted he'd taken both sets of keys with him.

1:51 PM, July 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surprise surprise and this coming from a techno phobe so i am not sure if you will get this or not. Anyway sounds as though someone was watching over you today, I can just imagine finishing a night shift to discover no keys!!! Glad you got home OK and hope you had a good day's sleep.

9:56 PM, July 25, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

Robin - Your hubby likely feels pretty bad about the inconvenience but he proved once more that he is, after all,...human. Be divine.

Now when I come into work I put my keys in my bosses desk drawer - I won't be leaving them in any more meeting halls or church basements.

12:00 AM, July 26, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

Fuzzychip - Excellent to hear from you at last!! and thanks for your good wishes; and also for stopping by.

By way of introduction to any of the regulars reading this: fuzzychip and I attended the addictions course together and became fast friends but haven't been in contact for awhile. She is a formidible combination of brains, beauty and personality. As the Scots would say - f'n brilliant!

12:07 AM, July 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am divine, Norm. LOL!

I was very nice about the whole incident even though it happened on a day when there was no food in the apartment and I was unable to go out and get any because I couldn't lock the apartment door and couldn't get back in the building even if I had gone out and left the apartment unlocked because I need the key to get in the building (and the gym and the club room).

4:32 PM, July 26, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

...and I so knew that about you Robin!!! It just wouldn't be you without the 'divine-ness'.

I hope Mr did the shopping on the way home and brought some flowers and chardonnet.

12:01 AM, July 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home